Introducing Broadband Internet for Grey Power Electricity customers
We’re delighted to announce the launch of a brand new product for all Grey Power Electricity customers!
Starting from 16 September, we’re offering a range of exciting low-cost Unlimited Broadband plans to help you and your loved ones stay connected online. Whether you want to browse the web, make video calls or stream your favourite TV shows, we’ve got a high-speed Broadband plan that’s right for you.
Read on to learn how the Internet has evolved and find out which Broadband plan is right for you.
The evolution of New Zealand Internet
From the dark days of dialup through to the blisteringly fast speeds of fibre, New Zealand Internet has come a long way over the years.
Dialup: Where it all began
Remember the days when you’d have to sit through a symphony of beeps, whirrs and static just to get online?
Dialup was the first type of Internet connection commercially available in New Zealand. It used telephone lines, the only residential data infrastructure we had at the time, to send and receive data between your computer and your Internet service provider (ISP) via a device known as a modem.
Each time you wanted to access the Internet, your modem would make a call to your ISP. If the call was interrupted for too long, the connection would drop out, and you’d have to start the process all over again. Speeds were limited to a very leisurely 56Kbps.
ADSL: The transition to digital
Apart from the sluggish speeds, one of the major drawbacks of dialup was that you couldn’t access the Internet and use your phone line at the same time.
ADSL solved this issue by essentially splitting your phone line into two separate channels: one for the internet, the other for phone calls. This type of connection transfers data digitally, unlike dialup, which has to convert your data from digital to analogue and back again. As a result, ADSL is dramatically faster than dialup and can deliver download speeds of up to 24Mbps and upload speeds of up to 1Mbps, depending on the quality of your lines and your distance from your local telephone exchange.
ADSL has been the standard Internet connection for the past 15 years or so and is widely available across New Zealand.
VDSL: Even faster digital
As our bandwidth needs have increased, telecommunications providers have had to come up with creative ways to use our phone lines more efficiently. That’s where VDSL comes in.
VDSL still uses your copper phone line, but can provide download speeds that are five times faster than ADSL and upload speeds that are 10 times faster. VDSL is able to deliver these speeds by reducing the distance that the signal has to travel. While this is great for download speeds, it does mean that VDSL coverage is not as extensive as ADSL. About 60 percent of households can access VDSL.
Fibre: Goodbye, phone lines
Fibre is the fastest and most reliable Internet connection currently available in New Zealand. Unlike ADSL and VDSL, fibre does not rely on copper phone lines to transfer data. Instead, it uses fibre optic cables, which use light to carry the signal rather than electricity. Optical fibre signals support ultra-fast speeds over long distances, which means they can send and receive data more quickly than other connections.
Because fibre doesn’t use your phone line, you’ll need to have fibre optic cables connected from the road to your house before you can use it. In most situations, the fibre installation process is completely free. We can help you arrange your fibre installation.
How to choose the best Broadband plan
We offer five different Broadband plans. The best plan for you depends on your usage and which type of connection is available at your property. If fibre is available, we highly recommend one of our fibre plans, as they’ll provide you with the fastest Internet speeds. If you have a copper connection, one of our ADSL or VDSL plans will be your best option.
- Regular: ADSL / VDSL ($68/month +GST): The best option if your home has a copper connection. Enjoy the freedom that comes with unlimited data.
- Standard Fibre (30/10) ($68/month +GST): A fast entry-level fibre plan. Suitable for smaller households that uses the Internet for sending emails, reading the news and browsing Facebook.
- Fast Fibre (100/20) ($75/month +GST): Our Fast Fibre plan is for those who need a bit more oomph. A good choice if you like to listen to music online, make video calls and share photos on social media.
- Faster Fibre (200/20) ($89/month +GST): An even speedier plan for households with a few people streaming at the same time. Get all the bandwidth you need to watch Netflix, listen to music and Skype your family.
- Max Fibre (max / 500) $105/month +GST): Maximum speed for households who don’t like to wait! If you’re a serious gamer, watch a lot of Netflix and have multiple people streaming or playing games online at the same time – this plan is for you! Especially good for when the grandchildren come to stay.
When you sign up for Broadband, you also have the option to add on our Unlimited Phone Packages.
Want to save money on your Broadband Plan? BundleUp your Electricity and Broadband with Grey Power Electricity and receive a $15 discount!