Here is some important safety information about the use of Natural gas in your home. Gas is instant, reliable and safe but it does need to be used with respect. If you are not able to find the information you need in this section then please contact our Customer Service team on 0800 473 976.
Here are some tips to help keep your children safe around gas:
Natural gas pipelines run under our streets, footpaths, backyards and into our homes. The pipelines are strong but if you dig into them they can be damaged and may start a gas leak. If you are planning on doing some digging, such as building a new home, installing a sprinkler system or planting a tree make sure you call us on 0800 473 976. We will help you to make sure it is safe to go ahead!
You will know if you have a gas leak because you will be able to smell it. It is a legal requirement to odourise gas with a strong pungent rotten egg smell so you can easily detect a leakage.
It is a legal requirement that anyone carrying out work on gas installations and appliances in your home must be a licensed gasfitter. To make sure your gasfitter is licensed to do the work, you can ask to see their card issued by the Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board. Alternatively, you can check by visiting www.pgdb.co.nz.
When any gas fitting work is carried out at your home, it is a legal requirement that the gasfitter completes a “Gas Certification Certificate”. This details the work undertaken and that it has been completed in accordance with the regulatory requirements, and that your system and appliances have been tested and are safe. The gasfitter should leave a copy of the certificate with you.
If you have had work completed and do not hold this certificate, you are entitled to request this from your gasfitter who is required by regulation to give this to you.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that you cannot smell or see. Carbon monoxide can be produced if you burn natural gas with insufficient oxygen.
If you breathe in carbon monoxide, it enters your bloodstream and deprives oxygen from your blood cells. The early effects of carbon monoxide poisoning could include a headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, feeling like you have the flu and confusion. Severe cases of carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. If you believe you or someone in your home has carbon monoxide poisoning:
Leave the house straight away → Visit your local doctor or hospital → Call 111 for Emergency Services
A carbon monoxide alarm detects the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. There are a number of stores which sell these alarms. This example is from Bunnings. Ask your gasfitter where you might get one locally.
If you would like some more information about living safely with gas in your home, the Energy Safety (ES) in association with the Gas Association of New Zealand, the LPG Association and the New Zealand Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drain Layers Board, has published a consumer brochure called Living Safely with Gas.
Click here to download the brochure as a PDF.